A Note of Gratitude to Peter Jackson

Opens in theaters December 17, 2014

It began long ago in Ms. Kutz's sixth grade class - my love affair with hobbits, dwarves, elves and dragons.  And, what was a childhood favorite has been brought to life by the brilliant filmmaker, Peter Jackson. 

I know what you're thinking.  How is Nikki writing a review on The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies when it hasn't been released yet?  Well, the truth is, there is no way I'm going to be able to review this movie after I see it.  I anticipate being in mourning for a few months afterwards. Therefore, I am writing this on behalf of all the fans who wish to give praise and appreciation one last time to Mr. Jackson for starting this passage into Middle-earth back in 2001 with The Lord of the Rings trilogy. More so, I am grateful to him for continuing the journey with The Hobbit trilogy so that my sons can experience Middle-earth for themselves.

Official trailer 

Like countless others, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies are more than just movies to me. They have become a wonderful way of bonding with my sons. My younger son, now 10, is the Middle-earth expert in the family and regardless of how many times I have seen The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films, he is the one I go to when those tiny facts or names get lost or confused in my brain (let's blame it on age!).  He has written countless fanfiction versions of Tolkien even in his young years.  He isn't into sports or video games. Instead, he revels in the art of story-telling and fantastical worlds.  In fact, he hopes to direct his own movie versions of Tolkien's Middle-earth in the future.  So, thank you, Mr. Jackson, for lighting that passion in him.  To encourage his dream I'm giving him his very own camcorder for Christmas!

Unfortunately, since I cry watching the trailers, my sons are a bit hesitant to see The Battle of the Five Armies in theaters with me.  They're making me take an oath not to sob and embarrass them.  In the meantime, perhaps I can get all my tears out watching trailers and premiere coverage to avoid a scene at the theater. Shall we bet on whether or not that is going to happen?  Maybe I'll just sit a few rows away from them. 

To parents keep in mind The Hobbit movies are rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense, fantasy action-violence, and frightening images. However, younger children may certainly experience the adventure by reading the novel or having it read to them.  I know as a parent, these have been treasured journeys I've taken with my two sons.


Official music video "The Last Goodbye" 

To the true die-hard fans out there, I hope you relish in the final film as much as I plan to. The Battle of the Five Armies will, undoubtedly, be the most intense and emotional of the three films as viewers finally get the answer to the question posed by Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen), "How shall this day end?"  At the World Premiere even Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield) says, "....it kind of rips your heart out."  I'm sure you'll agree, that even if we are able to maintain our composure during the film, we will lose it when we hear Billy Boyd's angelic voice sing "The Last Goodbye."    

Finally, to Mr. Jackson and all the actors, producers, and crews of these movies, I give you my deepest, heartfelt thanks for sharing this world with us.  Your fans will follow you anywhere!  Yet, as the lyrics say, "Now comes the day to bid you farewell."   


**********




Comments

  1. Really looking forward to the movie, but not the end of it. Especially the end of the run. I guess its a good thing Star Wars and Avatar is kicking back up. Tolkien means more to me, but at least I will have a distraction.

    I am very thankful for all the movies, and I think Peter Jackson has done a great job. Glad for the work he has done. And remember, no shame in tears!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Love to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment to be reviewed.

Popular Posts