Off the Shelf: The Book I Was So Excited to Read! (Book Review)


Some of you may have wondered which book it was that I was so eager to read in For the Love of Books.  Well, it was none other than The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. And, in case you didn't already know, Galbraith is a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling - the best author of our time - and clearly I am not worthy of writing a "review" per se, but rather a "why I couldn't wait to read this book" post.

Let's go back to the first in the Cormoran Strike crime fiction series, The Cuckoo's Calling.  It was around the time that Galbraith was revealed as Rowling that I found my sons older and more independent leaving me much sought after time to read again. The Cuckoo's Calling was one of the first books I grabbed!  I'll admit, the start of this novel was a little slow getting into, but once I did, I was completely enthralled with it. So, naturally, I could not wait for the sequel.

The Silkworm is the second in the Cormoran Strike series.  This one grabbed me quicker than the first  because I already had established a connection and an attachment to the main characters. Strike is a private detective and veteran Afghan War hero (and amputee) with the British Special Intelligence Branch. His secretary and partner-in-training, Robin, proves once again to be competent and crucial to solving the case.  I enjoy how the personal lives of these characters intertwine with the story and how the sexual tension between the two of them helps fuel the book's forward motion.

The Silkworm is an intelligent crime novel that will have you so anxious to solve the case, it will be difficult to put the book down.  I feel I should go back and re-read it again now that I'm no longer speed reading to get to the climax. The best part in the overall experience of the novel is that the case is not solved until the very end of the book - such a welcome relief from others I've read where I figure out the outcome halfway through. This one will have you evaluating suspects and evidence on each page until the very end.

One of the biggest complaints I have on other books is that the author leaves holes in the story.  Well, I certainly cannot say that about The Silkworm.  Every angle, every small detail is covered.  If you are a fan of sophisticated crime fiction, this series is for you!

And on a side-note, I don't think I can ever wear silk again. 



Read more of my book reviews



Comments

  1. These books sound like books I would enjoy, you know me always looking for a good mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Love to hear from my readers. Please leave a comment to be reviewed.

Popular Posts